Saturday, April 30, 2011

the Emotional Spectrum of Having Siblings

Having siblings is great - best friends that you grow up with. That said growing up with a brother and 3 sisters did introduce me to a broad emotional spectrum - everything from love, joy, laughter to envy, anger, resentment and sorrow. In many of my poems I mention the feelings though not the sibling - but remembering the motivation for writing these poems - it diffenately came from the source of my very close family

Why do we envy one another?
Jealous of the talents of our brother
Can we not look at ourselves?
To see the ways in which we can help
If we do this we will see
How much happier everyone will be
Tic ‘84


I pity you not
You took that step
The road you walk
Only leads to death

You had the choice
You turned your back
No you feel
What joy you lack

The load you carry
Is fear, distrust
Riches you have
It is worthless as rust

No happiness to buy
No peace to find
Contentment is lost
There is no more time

Complain not of your life
You walked that way
You could have knelt
Bowed down to pray
Tic ‘88


A façade, a farce
Is the face I show
My heart, my thoughts
Knows not where to go
I’m isolated, lonely
Wanting no one to see
I hide and I act
So no one will pity me
Tic ‘2001

Blank is my life
In a rut I have sunk
I am nobody’s wife
I am worthless, just junk
What good do I do?
Whom do I please?
My friends are so few
Just who would miss me?
The family is great
But I am locked-up inside
Who will break down the gate?
Where I am trying to hide
Tic ‘91

Memories From Our Past J
Memories of made of sight, smell and song
I hope this music brings happy ones along.
Our father enjoying the Bugs Bunny and Road Runner show
The rabbit torturing the singer with “Figaro”.
Our mother always waking us with a morning tune
Starting a day with song – It could not be ruined.
A Rose Garden before the Art Linkletter show,
Coca Cola commercials, Jungle Book song – the way to go.
You dressed in green for the Canadian centennial
Daddy driving us hither and yon – I remember it still.
The Rolf Harris show – songs from Down Under;
You were our ‘gypsy’ with the traveling gene.
“Fernando” - our father like songs from the modern scene?
Simon & Garfunkel – we’d sing on our traveling days
John Denver made you want to fly away.
Harold Cawston using “Dust in the Wind”
For a lecture on what life is if lived in sin.
Singing songs in our lives brought so much to enjoy
From Texas, Germany, the East, the world songs we employed 
To build our dreams, the closeness of our family love.
I wish you all the ‘star wishes’ from above
Tic 2010
(this one was written for my sisters birthday last year)

Someone’s upset
I wonder why
Do they reflect
The weeping sky?

You, who’s uptight,
There is a bright side
Clouds move from sight
Then sorrow will die
Tic 84

I go away
Far away
I disappear
With a tear
Of sorrow sad
Because I am bad
So I hide away
In my mind to stay

Boo hoo!!
What a flop
Cannot plant a crop
I am a sop
‘Thanks a lot!’
Tic ‘90

Think not of little tales
You like to spread yon hill and dale
For they bring but sorrow and grief
Hurting those of whom you speak
Though those stories may be true
They need not be told by you!
Someone might take the time
To drop around some silly line
About something you have done
Then you become the hurting one
When you want to spread what you have heard
Think of who may be hurt by those words
Tic ‘90

Joy is not something that just happens,
One has to take the time to create it.
Tic ‘82 (even in families)

What did you say?
You’re on your way
So this is good-bye
Time for feelings to die
But a lonely heart
Causes tears to start
They’ll mention your name
And your memory remains
Tic ‘85

Death we die
Weep we cry
Lost we lose
Despair we chose

Life we live
Love we give
Joy we laugh
Hope we grasp
Tic ‘90

I know that this is quite a few poems but 30+ years of writing gives one time to explore a large emotional spectrum :)
Tic ‘87
 

No comments:

Post a Comment